You are all excited about your new business venture! You are on fire! Well, not literally but you know what I mean :) You start telling your friends and family all about your new path and ‘WHAM!” It’s like you ran into a wall! Have you heard these comments – or perhaps made them?
“It will never work! She/he is crazy!”
“There is too much competition out there!”
“It’s voo-doo – no one wants it!”
“It’s all hocus-pocus…I’d rather take drugs!”
“I’ve tried it before – that business model will never work!”
“People won’t buy off the internet”
“I’m not giving you any money for this crazy idea!”
“She/he’s too old to start a business! Is she/he nuts?”
The reality is, they aren’t the risk taker you are. Everyone likes some recognition, love and support from their family and friends. It doesn’t matter what age we are, whether we are the daughter or son, or the mom or dad, we all seek emotional support from our family and close friends. When we walk into that wall it’s a shock to be ridiculed with their non-belief in your ability, your knowledge and your drive.
Deep down you know it will work. Why? Because you’ve done your solid research, have your foundation ready to launch and believe in the products and/or service you are going to provide. Most importantly, you believe in yourself to deliver.
Articulating your vision to your family and friends is great practice for the entrepreneurial life you are about to embrace. Practicing your 3-minute elevator speech to your family and friends is great practice for those future connections with potential customers.
Here are 5 tips on how to deal with your family and friends:
1) Simply state your 3-minute mission and value statement. Listen to what they have to say and don’t argue. If there is resistance, simply acknowledge it. Take a deep breath and say to yourself, “I believe in me – I can do this” Smile and walk away or change the subject. Believe me they will be watching you but that’s ok, take on the “I can do this” attitude and you’ll be fine. The reality is, your family and friends may be confused and wondering why you are doing this. They simply can’t see what and why you are doing what you are doing from your perspective. Let them know you’ll be ok and their support means a lot to you. It is what it is. Move on.
2) Identify your real friends. We transition into new roles when we become an entrepreneur. We are the CEO, the BOSS, the LEADER and the business owner. As we transition we want to choose the 5 people for our inner circle very carefully. Why? Because you will become the product of those 5 people you spend most of your time with. Some of your friends will sit back and say, “I can’t wait until she/he fails and I can say, “I told you so.” Be very cautious around them. The last thing you want to do is waste your time proving them wrong. Your physical and emotional energy needs to go into producing VALUE for your business. Gradually distance yourself from the ‘Negative Normans’ or the “Negative Nellies” in your circle. Surround yourself with positive like-minded people who have a vision and know how to get there. Envision yourself as one of them – reaching your goals…standing on the podium of success! Your true friends will support your goals and help you move forward step by step. Even the little things matter. Supportive friends and family will share your business page posts as an act of supporting you in your new business and they will refer people to you. With your positive attitude you will attract positive people into your life.
3) Look into you soul. Simply tell your family and friends if you don’t do this now you are going to live a life of regret. You just feel and know it is the right time to do it and if they believe in you they will support you. Everyone can relate to living a life of no regrets. For those of you who are very analytical and logical, this is going to test your emotional intelligence. That’s a good thing because you are going to have to learn to connect with people who feel first before they think when making a purchase of a product or service. Once again, practice this emotional delivery with your family and friends. It’s called, “connection”. When we know our “WHY” for starting our business, we can articulate that to others genuinely. Your family will expect you to give up in 6 months or so if you haven’t made the ‘big bucks’ You’ll be asked questions like, “How’s it going?” “Are you making any money yet?” “How much money are you making?” “You might make more money doing something else.” And of course, there is always one or two in the family who love to point out your faults and failures. They’ll surround themselves with other Negative Norman’s or Nellie’s who love to criticize you, laugh at you, make jokes about you and compare you to others. It’s at moments like these you get to the core of who you really are, your values, and the vision you have for yourself and your business. At these precise moments in time you will feel like you are pivoting on a fence rail. You fall one way you’ll give up – the other way you’ll dig deep, find that extra energy and your desire to succeed. You won’t wallow in self-pity, you’ll put your shoulders back, say to yourself, “Watch me!”, nod to the ‘Nay-Sayers” and proudly walk toward your dream. You’re worth it.
4) Regain control of your emotions and thoughts through daily mantras. Mantras are a combination of breathing and affirmations bringing you into the present moment. When you feel like you are losing self-control or your patience in any given situation, this mantra will help you. Join me here as I help you regain your self-control or patience through this simple, yet effective DESTINY MANTRA when you feel like someone else is directing you on your destiny. I’ll help you calm your mind and reclaim your path. It is your DESTINY with all it’s little imperfections. Not the destiny of someone else’s.
5) Diffuse essential oils. I love my essential oils and wouldn’t be without them. It is true, “There is an oil for everything!” Here’s a little help to BELIEVE in YOUR DREAM It’s the perfect oil to honor everyone’s entrepreneurial spirit. The aroma helps you build confidence and look past the obstacles in front of you so you can expand your potential and get motivated to accomplish your dreams. I diffuse it in my office when I need a boost of inspiration when the weight of building my business gets me down. Apply a few drops to your wrists, ears or feet to keep your entrepreneurial spirit and confidence lifted throughout the day – especially before you meet with your family or friends to announce your new chosen path!
If you enjoyed this article, please share with others you know who may be starting a new business. Perhaps they need a bit of encouragement. The world is a better place when we share kindness with others one drop at a time.
Until Next Time ...
Empowering Others to Live a Life of No Regrets
I love to hear from you friend, so be sure to comment below and share if you found value in this article.
For more lifestyle tips to help YOU create YOUR lifestyle YOUR way
CLICK BELOW TO SUBSCRIBE TO MY
Disclaimer: “Comments, statements and photos are not meant to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. All medical evaluations and decisions should be made by a licensed medical professional.”