Even though life can be a fantastic ride, sometimes it can also knock the wind out of your sails. I think many of us can agree we've been put on 'dry-dock' for the past couple of years since 2020. We sit and shake our heads in disbelief of what's happening around us telling ourselves, "It's Not Supposed To Be This Way!" Yet the reality is, it is - for now unless you do something about it. Well it's time to get the big-girl panties on because when times get tough, the tough get going! When tough times trigger your insecurities, you can discover an inner strength that will get you through practically anything.
Try these ideas to get started:
- Recognize that you've made it through those difficult situations. Then think about what you're experiencing right now. Is the current situation similar to or much different from your other tough times? Use what you've learned from your past challenges.
- As if speaking to your own best friend, tell yourself what will most help and encourage you. What do you most want to hear? What do you need to hear to help gather your strength? Is there something specific you're hoping will happen?
- Practice providing yourself with encouraging, uplifting messages. The messages you give yourself can be less than helpful or they can propel you through the roughest of circumstances.
- Talking to yourself with respect, care and positivity builds your inner strength so it's there when you need it. When the going gets tough, you'll have yourself to fall back on.
- What are your ideas about how to weather the storm? Examine all the solutions you can come up with. Explain to yourself what you'll do and how you'll do it.
- A sense of your own resourcefulness can be found in your ability to problem-solve through challenging situations.
- Think about their strength of character. How do you know they have it? What does that strength look like? How does it manifest?
- Even though you might have felt afraid, uncomfortable, lost, or confused, you discovered your internal resources and made it through those experiences.
- When you examine what you did to handle those situations and how you made it through, you'll recall your inner strength.
- You can get in touch with your own resourcefulness by re-visiting those events that bring you pride.
Discovering your inner strength is possible, even in the toughest of times. Following the steps above will help you discover your courage and resourcefulness. And with this self-understanding, you can handle anything!